Friday, December 2, 2011

Wilted Cabbage with Bacon

Certain family members (cough, Jason, cough) don't like cooked cabbage.  (He claims it's a texture thing).  So I'm always trying to come up with new ways to make, essentially, cole slaw with all the cabbage I get from either my own garden or my farmer friend. Tonight, I came up with a slightly cooked, but still crunchy dish that satisfied both the picky cabbage eater AND my desire for something WARM.

Wilted Cabbage with Bacon

4 slices Bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 medium Onion, diced
3 large cloves Garlic, diced
1 medium Cabbage, sliced/chopped
1/2 cup Vinegar, herbed if you have it

Cook the bacon in a 10" or larger skillet over medium heat.  I used my trusty cast iron.  Remove bacon when it's done but not too crispy.  Leave the bacon dripping in the pan and add the onions.  Once the onions are starting to become translucent, add the garlic.  Cook 1 minute longer than add the cabbage, stirring everything together.  Cover and let cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until the cabbage is warm and starting to wilt. Add the bacon back to the skillet, cook for another 2 minutes to reheat the bacon.  Drizzle the vinegar over the cabbage and serve.

YUM!  Tonight as I was serving dinner, and I served Jason a large helping of cabbage, my mother-in-law suggested maybe I'd given him too much cabbage.  I responded "He's going to eat that cabbage and he's going to like it."  And he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment