Sunday, January 6, 2013

Green Smoothie Progress

I won't post every day on this challenge but I did want to chime in that I have been making my daily green smoothie.  I typically have an Herbalife Formula One shake for breakfast with coffee and creamer in it (my own mocha).  For the green smoothies, I've made them for either breakfast or lunch.  I still use 1 cup of soymilk and the Herbalife shake mix, but then added some more water, 3/4 cup frozen mixed fruit, a cup of spinach and a 1/4 teaspoon chia seeds.  I occasionally add some other fruit too like a banana or blackberries... whatever we have.

Instead of mixing it in the Magic Bullet as usual, I used the Nutri-Bullet (same company, more oomph to the motor).  I read recently that longer blending incorporates more air into the smoothie/shake and makes it more filling.  In tests, people ate fewer calories of other food following a longer blended shake than a quickly blended shake.  I usually use the shake as a meal replacement so I don't know if I'm eating fewer calories or not. In reality, I'm eating a few more with all the fruit and such added to my shake but I'm also feeling full longer and reaching for snacks less so it probably adds up to fewer calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment